Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 28.

Today I am grateful for the following reasons:
1. We had a good weekend and enjoyed watching the super bowl.  Willie wanted to eat wings while he watched  even though his tummy is still not up to par.  I made him a few BBQ chicken wings and he ate them in bed while he watched the game.  It was the highlight of my week to watch him laying in bed like a king eating a banquet while he watched football.  It was a moment of sheer bliss and I could have watched it forever.
2. Yesterday we saw our friends Wes and Bekah at the cancer center.  Wes was Willie's roommate before he got the transplant and we were so happy to see them and catch up on each other's progress.  They are 22 days ahead of us and doing well which is always good to hear.
3.  We had a frustrating day at the cancer center yesterday.  We arrived at 10 AM and Willie had his labs drawn.  It usually takes about an hour to get results, but lately they have been so busy that it has been taking longer.  We finally got results at noon and everything looked good.  He is still having some bowel issues, but the nurse didn't seem worried about it.  We were ready to leave at noon, but we had to wait to see the Doctor first.  The Dr. ordered a stool sample to rule out any infection so Willie complied and we continued to wait.  2 hours later we still hadn't seen the doctor and we were both ready to leave.  I found the nurse and asked her what was going on.  She assured me that the dr knew we were there, but we needed to be patient.
At 2:30 PM Dr. Lenny arrived.  He shook our hands and introduced himself.
"You are the one that did my bone marrow biopsy." Willie reminded him.
He looked at Willie and squinted as if trying to remember.
"I do so many of those, I'm sorry if I don't remember.  Was it good?"
"I wouldn't say any biopsy is good, but it was my first time with the power drill and it went OK."
Lenny smiled at his response.
"Well we got the results back on your stool sample and you have C-Diff."
Willie and I both sighed at this news and I smiled at the doctor.
"What a relief!" I said.
"You think this is good news?" He looked at us like we were crazy.
"At least we have an answer now!" I explained "We are going on 10 days of these bowel problems. Now we can get him some antibiotics to fix things."
Lenny looked at Willie who was nodding in relief.  He didn't know what to think of us.  Most people aren't relieved to discover they have C-Diff.
4.  Willie started the medication last night and is feeling marginally better today.
5.  I am so so SOOOOO grateful that doctor Lenny insisted on running a stool sample when the other doctors hadn't.  I know Willie is going to feel a lot better once he kicks this infection.

We have been so blessed all along this journey.  I am so grateful that Willie has done as well as he has so far, I am grateful for the good people who we have met along the way and for the overwhelming support of the friends we have back home.  Thank you all for your continued support through prayers, words of encouragement, donations of time and money and most of all for your friendship. 
We are so incredibly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment