Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 35.

I haven't been posting as much lately because there is very little to report.  Willie is still doing well so the clinic has changed his appointment from three times a week to only two. We now go on Tuesdays and Fridays for lab work and to check in.  His labs looked good today and he is on his last few days of the antibiotic for C-Diff which has helped immensely.

Yesterday was my 30th birthday.  I have officially joined the ranks of the old.  I am so grateful for the texts, phone calls, and messages I received from so many caring friends for my day.  I knew this year would be different since we are living in isolation and can't go out to celebrate, but it was probably the best birthday I've had yet.  I got to spend the day with my favorite person with no demands on my time. 
My parents sent a surprise package, but Willie wouldn't let me open the gifts until his arrived.  I was touched that he had even thought to order me something.  We waited all day with no sign of a package.  At 8 PM he had decided to give in and let me open the other gifts when a knock sounded at the door and a UPS man delivered the surprise package.  Enclosed were two adorable aprons; one printed with cupcakes and the other with produce.
"One apron for baking and the other for cooking." He explained with a smile.
He was obviously pleased with himself for thinking of something so clever, and I could only respond by putting both aprons on immediately.  It was a fabulous, unexpected gift and I absolutely loved it.

Today we got the sad news that Willie's grandma passed away.  She fell a few weeks ago then got pneumonia and steadily declined.  We were so sad to hear of her passing, but grateful that she is no longer suffering. 
It's days like today that make me realize we are all living on borrowed time.  It was such an honor to know Will's grandma for the few years since I have joined this family.  She was a spit fire woman with a warm laugh and enjoyed a long life up to the age of 89.  Some of us will not be allowed to borrow that much time. 
I am so grateful for the time I feel we are stealing with Willie.  It's not even a matter of borrowing time with him, we have flat out stolen it!  Without the advancements in modern medicine we would have lost him months ago. 
For this I am most grateful.
I am also most grateful for my faith that teaches me there is life after death.  This life is a time to learn through our experiences and trials.  Some of us have more trials than others and some people's circumstances seem unfair in comparison, but each of these experiences are opportunities to become acquainted with God.  If we turn to Him in our trials, he will always strengthen and direct us.
I know there is a God in heaven because I have felt his hand guiding us through this incredible journey.  I have seen doors open where they should have been closed and witnessed miracles in times of doubt.  I know that he loves each and every one of us with the love of a caring father and rejoices with us when we graduate from this life and on to the next.
Grandma earned her degree in life today and I know her celebration in heaven is a joyful and lively one.
We are talking with Will's doctors to see if he will be able to attend the memorial service.  It will depend on a number of factors, including him finishing this antibiotic and seeing how he does, but the Dr we talked to today seemed hopeful that he may be able to attend.  We will pray that everything will work out so he can be there!

Thank you all for your continual love and support. 
I'll update after our next clinic visit on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment