Thursday, June 7, 2012

No News is Good News?


Today has been a bit of a bummer day.  Our day began, as usual, with the resident doctor waking us up to examine Willie.  She reported that his lab results looked good.  His white count is holding at 0.3, Red cells are at 7.6 which is good because they haven't fallen since his last infusion two days ago.  The platelet count was still pending so we don't know how he did after receiving platelets yesterday.  She left, then returned with the whole team about an hour later.  Today there was a silly amount of people.  They kept filing into the room like clowns squeezing into a clown car.  When they were are inside and the door was squeezed shut I took a head count: 8 people.
Well, not just 8 people, 8 Stanford doctors clad in white lab coats with their name and the hospital embroidered on the left breast pocket.  It's funny how much clout a lab coat can give a person.  I've seen some of our doctors wandering around on their lunch breaks without their lab coats on and I would never have guessed they were anything but a visiting family member.  The second the lab coat is on, however; they become the authority on health. 
We put our faith in these white lab coats.
Willie was sitting up in bed and the attending physician came around to stand in front of him. The rest of the crew hovered behind the bed like a silent audience awaiting the opening scene of a dramatic play. 
"We got the results back on the bone marrow." he said "There were some cells there, but we aren't sure if they are blasts or not yet.  What we usually do in this scenario is wait a week then take another biopsy to see what is going on."
My heart was beating so loudly I was sure the whole room could hear it.  This wasn't good news or bad news.  It was just simply, news, but the energy in the room gave me flashbacks of the night we received the diagnosis three short weeks ago.  I looked into the faces of the silent audience of doctors behind the bed.  So they is why they were here.  They were all receiving training on how to inform people that their lives will continue to be interrupted by a cancer they so desperately hoped would be gone.
"So we continue to stay here and wait." I said. 
It wasn't a question, it was more of a sad statement said in defeat.  The doctor nodded his head in affirmation.
"We will continue to watch Willie and keep an eye on his counts.  If his counts start to come up then we will know that the cells we saw in the marrow are not cancer cells and we can wait a bit longer to do the biopsy."
This was good news.  This is hope.  He went on to explain that the bone marrow biopsy taken after a round of chemo is supposed to show no cells at all, good or bad.  Will's contained a few small cells the could be leukemia cells that will need another round of chemo to kill.  He was quick to add that they may also be good cells, or cancer cells that the chemo just hasn't got around to killing yet.  We prefer to focus on the latter of the two.  By waiting a week to test again we will have a more conclusive idea of what is going on.
What a bummer!
He delivered the news quickly then shooed the herd of doctors out the door.  We sat in silence for a moment as we absorbed the news.
"I don't know how to feel." I finally said "It's not like it's bad news, but it's not good news either.  I just hate being stuck in this limbo!"
Willie was silent.  He reached up and scratched his head and I watched as a dozen strands of hair fell to the ground.  He has been losing his hair for the past few days at a steady rate.  It's no secret that people lose their hair after going through chemo, but I just assumed it happened all at once.  Like one day every strand of hair jumped ship and fell out at the same time like removing a wig.  It is not that pretty.
Will started losing his hair on Tuesday afternoon.  I had gone for a walk while he was taking a nap.  When I returned he was sitting on the side of the bed, staring at the ground as if in shame.
"My hair is falling out." he said, then motioned to the pillow.
I was shocked to see the amount of hair on the pillow.  I would have expected to see a large bald spot somewhere on his head from the amount on the pillow, but to me, his hair still looked normal.  From that moment on he has been trailing strands of hair everywhere he goes. 
Finally Willie spoke
"I just want to go home."he said into the morning air.
"I know," I said, "I know."
I didn't have a single positive thing to combat this with.  Up until this morning I have been saying things like "we'll be home sooner than we know" or "just a few more days until we get the results and you'll be all clear so we can go home!"
The neutral news we had just received took the wind out of our sails.  We know we will at least be here another 7 days until we get the next results and who knows how long we will need to stay depending on what the results say. 
It just felt like we were receiving a diagnosis all over again.  It suddenly became clear to me that this is how our lives are going to be from now on.  There will never be a time when we are not thinking about what the next step is going to be with his leukemia.  We will always be in this limbo of wondering whether the cancer is gone or if it is wreaking havoc on his cells.
This is our life now.
But we are ok with that.  We can handle it.  We have each other and an amazing support system of family, friends and the community.  We are stronger than leukemia!  We would just FEEL a lot stronger outside of these hospital walls.  We've been stuck in this small room for 3 weeks now and we are more than ready to get out of here!
Will wanted to take a shower, but didn't want to burden the drain with all of his hair.  Now that's a good plumber if he's thinking about the drain when his hair is falling out!  He wanted me to shave his head so I went out and bought cheap pair of clippers.
He leaned over the trash and I turned on the black clippers.  They buzzed in my hand as I began removing the first sections of hair just above his ear. 
"It's just hair," I told myself as each strand fell into the trash, pulling at my heart strings as it went. "It will grow back."
My eyes grew blurry as I fought back tears. 
It's not just hair, it's everything it represents. 
It is admitting he has cancer.
It is proof that our fight is just beginning.
It is accepting that things will never be the same.
It is the end of an era.
The hum from the buzzers began to numb my emotions and I gathered the courage to look at Will's reflection in the mirror.  He was calm, focused, staring steadily at my hands as they removed long sections of hair.  There was a drive in his eyes that I have never seen before.  An intensity that would scare the crap out of me if I was cancer!
My heart was lifted as I was reminded, once again, that we were going to be ok.  We still have hope and we will move forward with renewed faith as fresh and new as the soft skin that appears under his vanishing hair.
I stepped back from his shaved head and took in my handiwork.  He looks completely different, but his deep blue eyes will always be the same.  They are my home.  I will always feel safe with those eyes looking back at me.
"I don't know how I got myself such a good looking husband!" I said, and gave him hug. 
And I meant it.  He may have a buzzed head with scattered patches of pink skin, but to me he is gorgeous. 


11 comments:

  1. This makes me want to cry for you! I'm still praying for you both everyday. Love you cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy you and Willie will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your first post that made me cry. I miss you and think of you two all the time! You are both so strong...you will beat this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No news is sometimes the most frustrating because it means the waiting game, again. Hang in there our prayers are with you! We love you. Continue to draw strength from each other and Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, it will get better when my hair grew back it was curly and grey if he gets cold keep a hat on the head that helps so much. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way, you both are special people ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im not supposed to cry if I have my badge and gun on.... It takes away my toughness. So I closed the door to my office. I remember when my mom lost her hair... Reality set in for me. and it was hard. You both are in my thoughts and definitely my prayers. I don't have to tell you to keep the faith..i have learned you will never lose faith or give up. The news next week will be positive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing your blog. It not only helps you but it also helps us, the ones that are reading it as you write it. Every sentence you have wrote so far pertains to something I can relate either in my own life burdened with health issues or the life I/we (Ronelle) had with our mom. Reading your most recent blog (the hair loss) just made me realize how much I wasn't there for my mom during the most difficult time of her life. Ronelle was always there for her no matter what, where, when, or why. She was there. She shared my mom's hair loss with her. They went out and bought beautiful hats together. All I did was tell her how beautiful she looked (which she did) and offer to shave my head if it made her more comfortable. Thankfully she declined my offer. As my shaved head would NOT be an attractive thing !!! LOL !!! But as I have read your blogs I truly HAVE realized and confirmed something I have always kind of thought and known and regretted. I was not there for my mom like I should have been and that breaks my heart. It wasn't because I didn't want to be or I was to busy. It was because I lived in a strange kind of fantasy world where I felt like it was just a dream/nightmare and she wasn't going anywhere at anytime. And I just lived day to day taking everything for granted. Now I wish I could go back and re-live and re-do everything I didn't do or wanted to do but didn't. Ronelle was always my mom's backbone and strength and I left her to be just that. My mom could have used two backbones for what she was going through. Willie is SO lucky to have you Missy and all of the friends and support he has. Plus he also has Ronelle as part of his backbone. He WILL get through this. And for those of you that know somebody who is going through similiar circumstances or just needs support for anything. BE THERE and don't hesitate thinking they have enough or you can't help. Because if you take that route you WILL feel a remorse/regret that you can never escape from no matter what the end result will be. I love you mom and I love you Ronelle. Willie and Missy, I don't know you but reading this and seeing the love and admiration my sister Ronelle has for both of you makes me love you. Don't EVER give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that Stacey. Though we haven't met formally I consider you a friend. Ronelle is amazing and I can only assume that you are as awesome as she is! The beautiful thing about regret is that it motivates you to change the future. Your words are inspiring and will change the way that I and many others look at our trials. Thanks again for sharing such a personal experience. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  8. PRAYERS AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS SEND A THOUSAND TIMES YOU GUYS WAY...STAYING FOCUSED IS THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE THIS FOR EVERYONE. GOD WILL ONLY PUT YOU THROUGH IT IF KNOWS YOUR STRONG ENOUGH TO WALK THROUGH IT... <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. We had a tough moment, but our sprints are back up today thanks to the support of all of you amazing people we get to call our friends. We appreciate each of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing ..My happy thoughts and prayers are with you and Willie ..and his family. Stay strong xoxo

    ReplyDelete